CKS Memorial Hall

CKS Memorial Hall

Sunday, September 19, 2010

My 18th Birthday in Taiwan

My birthday here was more than I could have ever imagined. I woke up to smell of my host mother making me my favorite breakfast I have here, 雞蛋餅, which translates to "egg cake". It is a sort of crepe with many different sorts of spices, topped with an egg that has been beaten, then you roll it into almost like a burrito and top it with some soy sauce.. SO GOOD. 


I got dressed, made an attempt to do my hair (which I knew would only frizz out of place the second I walked out the door), put on my makeup and jewelry and headed out my door. 早安 (pronounced Zao An- which means Good Morning) Chersea! (that is actually how they pronounce my name); 安(morning) I replied.  My home ma hurried to finish making my breakfast and putting together Joy's lunch, as Joy just started getting ready.  I made sure that all of my stuff was ready for Chinese class, Joy grabbed her stuff and we headed out the door, 雞蛋餅 in hand. 


We walked to the end of our street and waited for the bus together, her 612 and my 508.  When I got to my Chinese class I couldn't help but think study, study, STUDY! (I'm beginning to act more like a Taiwanese than I thought ;-D ) I was so nervous about my bo-po-mo-fo test.  When everyone else arrived, I got a German version of Happy Birthday from Fiona, a special hug from the Brazilian- Heitor, a Canadian "It's your birthday, eh?"(I love Faith), and many a "AWWW, Happy Birthday!" :-P


Derrick and I went out into the hall and studied our little New Yorker butts off! When it was finally my turn to go with our teacher and read the test paper in bo-po-mo-fo , my stomach was in knots.  BUT, I only made one mistake! (I later found out that along with one other girl in my class, I got a 99!!) Before we left my 老師 (teacher) said 生日快樂 (pronounced shengri kaile- which means Happy Birthday)- OH YEAH, now I remember; I almost forgot it was my birthday.


I made my way to school where I went straight to my classroom. All of 112 was excited to see me.  I got gifts from Jade (later found out that they were cute little jars), another girl gave me lucky stars, I got plenty of cards, a sign from the kids in my 2nd grade PE class, a card from Boba in my 2nd grade art class, 2 五十嵐 and much more.  And during the first 10 minutes of PE class with 112, they threw me a little party.. They brought me a cake, and sang me happy birthday (first in Chinese, then in English), they were all so excited. I (of course) had to make a wish before I blew out my candles. We then went outside with our teacher and play volleyball which was actually a lot of fun. It was a pretty short day after that. I left school at around 4 that day so that I could get home and shower before my host family and I went out to dinner at 7.




Dinner was probably the best part of the day. My ENTIRE father's side of the family was there.   We had so much fun together. It was a really nice dinner too, pretty much a 10 course meal- U hadn't eaten so much food since I had arrived! Joy and I had fun playing with my host cousins, and I introduced myself to my host grandma in Chinese. It was an all around good night :-) We had the coolest waiter at the restaurant too. He spoke in English to me and was very happy to hear why I was there and thought that it was just awesome that I was an American.  He gave me a taste of the special white wine, and a glass of red wine after getting my home ma's permission. When dinner was about over, my waiter friend brought out a cake and everyone sang to me. I haven't felt more love than that since my arrival in Taipei. It was wonderful. We made the long trek home and shortly after we got home and I took another shower, I was in bed. 



No comments:

Post a Comment